A carbon footprint is the number of greenhouse gases especially carbon dioxide released in the atmosphere as a result of specific human activities. A carbon footprint can give a broad idea about the practices of an individual or of a group of people, organizations, or a region. Measuring CO2 emitted in tons in a said year gives a picture of the accurate measurement of these emissions.
Although it is difficult to gauge a single individual’s carbon footprint, there are a lot of online calculators available these days to help you understand an estimate of your carbon footprint with the help of a few details of your size of household, the vehicles you drive, the efficiency of the appliances you use, the quality of food you eat, the products you use, and how much you recycle - for instance - https://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx.
There are multiple ways one can reduce their carbon footprint. Here are 5 simple ways to start with:
- Say no to single-use plastics and paper products and go for reusables. When you can do with reusable items avoid buying disposable items like bottled water and paper cups for your beverages. Stojo’s Collapsible Water Bottle and Collapsible Pocket Cup are excellent choices when it comes to making an eco-friendly choice. A revolutionary design that combines flexible, food-grade silicone and food-safe, recycled materials, these are ultra-portable and just too convenient to carry on the go.
- Minimize purchases of products that are resource-intensive or heavily-packaged. Unpaste’s Toothpaste Tablets come in a certified compostable packet. Just the thing you need to substitute with the regular tube of toothpaste that is not only packaged heavily but also laced with way too many chemicals. These toothpaste tablets are vegan and cruelty-free. They are all-natural and fluoride-free. Absolutely safe and effective, these are simple to use. All you need to do is chew, brush and smile for super glossy pearlies!
- Compost your food scraps and other biodegradable items that can be composted safely, or find a compost drop off center near your house. The Skoy Cleaning Cloth, is a perfect replacement to paper towels. It is a multi-use cloth made of cotton and cellulose which is 100% biodegradable and compostable. A single skoy cloth replaces up to 15 rolls of paper towels!
- Whenever you can’t do without using them, recycle plastic, paper, glass, or metal in accordance with the standard protocol for doing the same. Gas emissions result from the extraction of resources, manufacturing, transport, and final disposal of goods which include consumer products and packaging, building components, and passenger vehicles, but excluding food. Recycling items you no longer use, you dramatically reduce your carbon footprint. Circle Shop offers an array of products that are conveniently reusable instead of recycling them.
- Minimize driving by walking, biking, carpooling, and using public transit as much as possible. Cities are finally investing in the necessary infrastructure to make it easier not to own a car. This not only reduces CO2 emissions, but it also lessens traffic congestion and the idling of engines that accompanies it. These days there are a lot of alternatives for shopping online. Instead of driving to the nearest shopping centre, simply browse and order your needs online. Circle Shop’s range of thoughtfully curated products that can help you source some of the most ecofriendly items that are can drastically bring down your carbon print. These can be safely ordered online.
These measures are easily doable and can be quite effective in bringing down the carbon footprints in the long run. All it requires are a few consistent efforts and a conscious lifestyle change.